Foursquare is the leading independent location technology company, powered by our deep understanding of how people move throughout the world. Our solutions help businesses make smarter decisions, developers create more engaging experiences, and brands build more effective marketing strategies.
Foursquare’s platform includes Attribution, Audience, Pinpoint, Proximity, Places, Pilgrim SDK and Visits. As the industry’s first and only accredited company for location data from the Media Rating Council (MRC), this foundation powers all our solutions — those that exist today and those we have yet to build. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date, building a phone’s-eye-view of the world with 105 million unique places of interest worldwide.
About the Team
Our Delivery and Data Platform teams provide the tools, libraries, and APIs that power our data processing infrastructure. In this role, you will ship products with high visibility and of strategic importance to Foursquare, and contribute directly to revenue. Help us build and collaborate with Product, Engineering, and Data Science teams to create tools and processes to bring research and machine learning models to production.
About the Role
Foursquare is seeking an Engineering Manager to develop projects for our Delivery and Data Platform teams, responsible for the backend software and infrastructure that powers our data delivery and data processing pipelines. This person will be responsible for their team’s execution and ability to ship high-quality software in a fast-paced environment. They will also be responsible for setting the team technical direction and roadmaps, making sure the right process is in place to help the team deliver. They will help to cultivate the growth of the engineers on the team and their career paths at Foursquare.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Manage and coach a team of talented engineers
- Own the team's technical roadmap and direction, working closely with Product Management, Program Management, Client Success, Engineering, and stakeholders to achieve company goals
- Lead the development of scalable and robust batch processing systems for applying machine learning algorithms for geospatial inference
- Contribute hands-on engineering solutions as needed
- Identify and track critical diagnostic metrics for the health and growth of our core products
- Partner with engineering, product teams, and department stakeholders to drive forward broader engineering and company initiatives
- Recruit talent to grow the team in line with Foursquare company growth and priorities.
- 5+ years of software development experience
- 2+ years managing an engineering team
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to convey intricate systems and logic to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven ability to promote employee engagement and align teams toward company goals and vision
- Proficient in capacity planning and project management, ensuring consistent and predictable deliveries
- Experience recruiting, hiring, onboarding, and developing new team members
- Track record of reliably shipping and scaling high-quality products as an individual contributor and manager
- Excellent problem solving and systems debugging skills
- Hands-on experience with professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, build processes, testing, and operations
- Understand Hadoop processing systems like MapReduce and Spark
- Familiar with deployment process and monitoring tools
- Excellent organization, prioritization, and time management skills
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.