This is a remote-friendly position.
Semaphore web teams are multidisciplinary and they combine design with development of frontend and backend. We are looking for an experienced engineer who knows how to design scalable web systems, make technology decisions and drive implementation for the best possible final product.
Within each team, engineers are comfortable moving up and down the stack, from web application development down to infrastructure services. Team members have areas of domain expertise, such as front-end development, API development, containerization, etc., but we expect everyone to understand the entire system and help develop it and operate it in production.
We use Semaphore to do continuous deployment and develop features in small increments. We create and use metrics to measure efficiency and availability of all parts of the system. We prefer short feedback loops and weekly project scopes.
Semaphore is a cloud service for continuous integration and deployment used by programmers in over 100 countries. We are focused on great user experience and high performance. We believe that Rendered Text is the place where you can do your career-defining work.
Senior Backend Engineer
- Develop and operate critical production applications written in Ruby and Elixir (prior experience with both languages is not required).
- Drive our roadmaps and be ready to influence them in a big way. Your work will not be limited to technical implementation — you will also have a chance to make creative contributions to the product and be a technical leader.
- Contribute to our technical architecture as we grow. You need to care about agility, scalability and high availability and ensure that we are continuously raising our standard of engineering excellence.
- All engineers at Rendered Text rotate on customer support, so you will also occasionally work on helping and responding to our users.
- Proficiency in developing production applications written in Ruby or Elixir / Erlang.
- Ability and willingness to learn new languages and technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to work effectively remotely.
- 7+ years of experience developing critical production applications.
- Production experience of working with Ruby on Rails.
- Experience in developing with microservices.
- Familiarity with AWS services (EC2, EB, ECS, IAM, etc.).
- Experience with system monitoring and alerting.
For bonus points, please tell us if you also have experience with:
- Using Apache Kafka or RabbitMQ.
- Docker and app containerization.
- Monitoring, alerting, dashboard visualizations, load testing or live system debugging.
- Front-end development frameworks such as Angular, React or Ember.js.
- Contributions to open source projects.
- Exposure to the latest technologies, good practices (hackile, devops, continuous delivery), big challenges and impact of working on a product that's competing on a global market.
- Normal 40-hour work week.
- Friendly work atmosphere.
- Freedom to learn continuously and choose the tools for your job.
- Excitement of seeing how the code that you just wrote immediately helped solve a real problem to another person.
- Paid trips to conferences.
- Paid membership at a fitness club of your choice.
- Paid parental leave.
- Books of your choice.