Foursquare is the leading independent location technology platform, powering business solutions and consumer products through a deep understanding of location. Over 1,000 clients—including more than 50% of the Fortune 100—choose Foursquare.
Foursquare’s toolkit includes Attribution, Audience and Proximity Targeting, Visits, Places and Pilgrim SDK. Together, these products empower brands to measure foot traffic lift via multi-touch attribution; deliver proximity-based advertising; analyze and identify trends; drive deeper engagement via Foursquare’s industry-leading developer tools, which have been selected by 200,000 developers including AccuWeather, Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, Twitter and Uber; and optimize advertising campaigns across hundreds of audiences. Over 14 billion consumer-verified place visit confirmations help us keep our map and models fresh and up-to-date.
Foursquare has more than 350+ employees based in New York headquarters with offices in Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and Singapore. In 2019 Foursquare acquired Placed from Snap Inc., and then in 2020 merged with Factual. Foursquare is proud to be funded by The Raine Group, Simon Ventures, Naver, Union Square Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, DFJ Growth, Morgan Stanley Alternative Investment Partners and more.
About the Team
The Enterprise Solutions Engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining custom solutions for Foursquare Enterprise Clients and providing best in class technical support across all of our product offerings. We work directly with clients and partners providing technical guidance and making sure they are able to use Foursquare products and data effectively. We are a high-impact team of developers working on the bleeding edge of the full suite of Foursquare products and data working closely with our Customer Success and Product Management teams as well as with clients and partners.
About the role
As a Client Solutions Engineer you are responsible for building and delivering custom datasets and interim solutions using location and POI data for Foursquare’s Enterprise clients. You provide our Customer Success team guidance on our capabilities and understand how to break down hard problems - providing incremental solutions that create value for customers. You will work on the bleeding edge of our products and data - solving a multitude of challenges with varying levels of ambiguity. You are a technical point of contact for clients - providing support and guidance to ensure clients are able to build solutions and power their own products using Foursquare data.
Responsibilities of the role
- Support onboarding of data products directly with our Enterprise clients
- Scope, design, build, deliver and maintain custom datasets and workflows that help internal stakeholders and our clients use our products in new and exciting ways and enable our product team to gather early market feedback
- Identify and document solutions to customer problems
- Test and analyze to ensure quality of all client deliverables
- Work with product to ensure alignment with product roadmap on any interim solutions
- Work with engineering to resolve any issues found within upstream data dependencies
- 3-5 years experience in a similar role or similar working experience
- 3+ years programming experience (we use Python, Spark and Scala primarily)
- 2+ years experience with SQL (we use Postgres, Athena and Hive)
- Fluent in shell scripting and comfort with command-line utilities for moving and work with files and data
- Experience with AWS (EMR is a plus)
- Experience with Git
- Demonstrated experience supporting external clients (preferably), or internal stakeholders
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Nice to have:
- Experience with working across several teams (technical and non-technical) in a cross-functional role
- Experience with explaining technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders
- Experience with planning, organizing, and executing improvements on components and feature areas.
- An understanding of Location/GIS industries and data
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.