Airbase is a modern spend management system designed for growth companies that need a single platform capable of managing entire company spend. Airbase brings the benefits of corporate card expense management, bill payments and accounts payable automation in one unified platform. Airbase is well funded and getting ready to invest aggressively in growth in 2020. Learn more about why innovative companies like Gusto, Segment, Doximity, Getaround, Netlify, and more trust Airbase at www.airbase.com
About the Job
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to manage a team of engineers working on the Airbase spend management platform. You will - initially manage up to 5 engineers, partner with the product owners of specific areas of the platform from an engineering perspective, help define the product roadmap and deliver a high quality product. We're looking for someone who has a strong background as an individual contributor engineer and is now passionate about building teams and people management.
- Manage a team of backend and frontend engineers in one or more product areas
- Conduct regular 1:1s with direct reports
- Mentor engineers and help them plan career growth
- Lead the hiring process for your team
- Constantly be on the look out for opportunities to recruit good engineers. Build relationships even when there are no open roles on your team
- Collaborate with PMs to define roadmap for your area of the product
- Plan the work of your team. At Airbase, EMs commit to deliverables based on the defined roadmap and are ultimately accountable for shipping it.
- Be an active participant in important engineering choices made by the team
- Help define and protect the engineering culture at Airbase
- At least 2-3 years of engineering management experience with a total of 8 years or more experience.
- At least 5 years experience developing web applications and backend services as an IC in a professional setting.
- You should have played a lead role in building, shipping and maintaining a non-trivial production service as an individual contributor.
- If you're a strong individual contributor as a backend engineer, you should have a decent understanding of frontend technologies and vice versa.
- An ability and willingness to get your hands dirty and help build and ship the product when it's required
- You must have worked at a startup as an IC or EM.
- Must have an excellent understanding of how the web works.
- Familiar with modern engineering practices: code reviews, continuous-deployment, automated testing.
- Must be willing to constantly learn new things.
- Passionate about joining a small team and building a company.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Nice to haves
- A history of working on side/hobby projects and contributing to open source projects is a plus.