Giant Swarm is a fast-growing open-source infrastructure management platform used by modern enterprises. Our vision is to empower developers around the world to ship great products.
- You are responsible for designing our Kubernetes-as-a-Service platform. But of course, you are not alone. We already have multiple cross-functional teams working on different parts of the platform and all team members are engaged in the product process.
- You work closely with one team and write user stories.
- You decide with the Product Owners what will be developed and when, and make strategic product decisions.
- You communicate a clear vision and help the team to prioritize.
- You participate in all development events (Daily StandUp, Planning, Retrospective, Reviews).
- You are also motivated by proactive stakeholder management (customer, PO’s, cross-functional Dev Teams, other internal departments) and gather requirements, manage expectations and set priorities.
- You have at least 5 years of work experience in a tech-driven environment and you know stuff about enterprise software, cloud, open-source and distributed systems. You can tell us about your professional experience with Kubernetes and infrastructure.
- You find the right tone for all stakeholders. Especially with our cross-functional engineering teams, you are available and engaged. (We are currently building a product where we put customer requirements into product requirements and stories which work for a multitude of customers).
- You can deal with being empowered to make decisions.
- You understand the market, product, business, and any constraints involved.
- You have an understanding of how our product is developed and delivered, you know a lot about agile methodologies but you don’t need to do everything according to the guide book.
- You fight for good UX as this is a huge part of our product.
- You are happy to work in a fast-changing environment and adapt the way you work according to the current status of the company. We are operating in the evolving container ecosystem; the whole market is highly volatile.
- You know what it means to extend Kubernetes with the operator pattern (i.e. custom resource definitions and custom controllers) and aggregated APIs. Ideally, you have already worked on projects extending Kubernetes and understand the concepts involved.
- You can explain the architecture of Kubernetes and delve into related Software Architecture topics. Architectural concepts of Distributed Software, e.g. the CAP theorem and Event-Driven, and general Microservices topics are familiar to you.
- Having worked with Kubernetes before is mandatory
- You have excellent English skills (our company language is English)
- We (and our customers) are currently mostly distributed around Europe (around UTC), thus, your main timezone is somewhere between -2UTC to +2UTC to ensure better communication.
WHY WE THINK THIS JOB IS WORTH APPLYING FOR (CHALLENGE US!)
Impact, Impact, Impact! We are a remote-first organization with a growing team from 15+ European countries. Every new team member changes the team. This is great! People who know things we don’t are highly welcome.
“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission” (Grace Hopper) - sure, it’s not 100% like this, but we have a strong culture of failure which, is part of our agile mindset. We don’t do things like in the guidebook. You can try things out! Our default to 100% transparency will help you here.
We play a key role in our customers' digital transformation. We have partnered up with Amazon and Microsoft to provide our solution on their cloud platforms - more will follow.
We have been in this ecosystem from the get-go and as part of the CNCF family, we feel at home in the community. As a part of Giant Swarm, you will also join this extended family.
We serve some of Europe's leading organizations and are talking to many more.
WHY Giant Swarm?
We like to give you a glimpse on how working with is like:
Creative work needs freedom and openness. We encourage you to do your work wherever and whenever you want. We expect passion and encourage sustainability. If you need rest, take it. We don't count holidays - but we are also aware that this combined with remote work can also lead to working too much. So we encourage you to take holidays and help you to manage the freedom and flexibility.
We are a growing company with team members distributed all over Europe and plans on expanding to the US. Our ambitious goals are only achievable as a team. Everybody’s input is highly welcome and appreciated. Although sometimes rules and processes are necessary, we try to keep them as lean as possible. Always question the status quo and find new ways of collaboration and teamwork.
Learning is mandatory and fun at the same time. If you realize you want to expand your knowledge in a specific area, we support you with conferences, books etc.
We offer fair (transparent and open) salaries with benefits like choosing your own laptop, additional perks (for example, a location-aware, fixed amount paid each month to cover costs like co-working, phone contracts or gym memberships), paid parental leave and healthcare compensation are compulsory. And you will participate in our stock options program. Currently, our team members have more children than we are employees. So family-friendliness is a must.
Pro-tip for applying at Giant Swarm:
"Don't be afraid to say "I don't know". Let us in on your learning / thinking process."
(Oliver Ponder, Fontend Engineer)
Interested? Questions? Contact Mirco (@giantswarm.io) or apply directly.
Giant Swarm is a fast growing open source infrastructure management platform used by modern enterprises. Our vision is to empower developers around the world to ship great products.
We're a distributed, diverse, and growing team, spread across Europe and the US. The company is based in Cologne, Germany, where we have a small office in a coworking space. However, less than 5% of us actually work there. All workflows are designed to function remotely - but of course, if you want to visit Cologne, you are more than welcome!
What we offer on top:
- Choose the hardware you like the most!
- Family first - we have more kids than employees!
- Join our team at conferences all over the globe!
- Internal Hackathons - we love to challenge ourselves!
- 2 Off-Sites per year (check our photos on instagram)!
We are not hiring job descriptions. We hire humans. :) We welcome applications from everybody, regardless ethnic or national origin, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation or age.