At Arbor, we’re on a mission to transform the way schools work for the better.
Our products are transforming the way schools use data to bring about positive change by empowering schools and teachers. Arbor reduces the amount of time spent on administrative tasks, and increases their time where it matters, with the students!
We’re in scale up mode and in need of a people focussed Lead Software Engineer to lead our Assessments & Exams team. You’ll be a hands-on coding member of a team that maintains and innovates our core systems and platforms.
The role is a mix of setting technical standards for the team by demonstrating best practice as a hands on coding member of the team, architecture design and day-to-day management of a team which is split between our Leeds and Belgrade offices. Our lead engineers also work closely with product to define the roadmap.
A day in the life of a Lead Engineer at Arbor
- You’ll provide day-to-day management and mentoring to your team, helping them to develop and grow as product engineers.
- Complete associated people management tasks including reviews, monthly target setting and feedback sessions.
- Be the link between the business and engineering, working closely with Arbors Product Managers to create appropriate documentation for new feature developments, including diagrams where appropriate.
- Ensuring your team maintain a high level to be compliant with engineering standards
- Producing your own well written code using standard design patterns and methods.
- Carry out code reviews and pair programming with your team.
- Participating in internal and external tech-talks and team based learning to ensure knowledge sharing across the business
- Within 1 month, you’ll: Establish a working baseline for the team, working with the product manager to ensure clear progress on tickets, and a clear way of working for the team
- Within 3 months, you’ll: Provide a technical strategy for the ongoing development and simplification of the Assessments and Exams modules
- Within 6 months, you’ll: Implement new capabilities across both School and Group MIS systems, and implement a strategy for sustainable development of both modules
We’re looking for a passionate team leader, with great mentoring skills.
Beyond that, we’d love to see you have:
- Past experience successfully leading engineering teams.
- A passion for PHP or at a willingness to learn
- Strong communicator, able to express ideas and solutions clearly to management teams.
- Past experience with enterprise solutions
- A familiarity with Scrum methodology or other agile development processes
- Experience with cloud computing
- Familiarity with software best practices such as Refactoring, Clean Code, Domain-Driven Design, Test-Driven Development.
What we offer
The chance to work alongside a team of hard-working, passionate people in a role where you’ll see the impact of your work everyday. We also offer:
- We believe in supporting your professional growth so we provide you with a set training budget and give you the freedom to choose how you spend it. We also provide a subscription to Udemy for engineering training resources
- We promote positive well being and as part of this you’ll have access to our Employee Assistance Program as well as being able to speak to trained mental health first aiders
- Frequent internal Tech Talks, opportunities to learn from colleagues, and dedicated time off to attend conferences or training
- We are all currently WFH due to covid and will continue to provide flexible work arrangements post covid
- We offer additional discretionary holidays, including half day Fridays during the school summer holidays
Refer a friend: Know someone else who would be good for this role? You can refer a friend, family member or colleague, if they are offered a role with Arbor, we will say thank you with a voucher valued up to £200!
Arbor Education is an equal opportunities organisation
Our goal is for Arbor to be a workplace which represents, celebrates and supports people from all backgrounds, and which gives them the tools they need to thrive - whatever their ambitions may be.
We want to make sure we build the best products for our schools, and we passionately believe that starts with building a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve. We’re actively working on this, and we’re always open to feedback. Let us know your thoughts!
If you need any adjustments to be made to support you through the recruitment process, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.