Status is the gateway to the decentralized web. We’re building the tools and infrastructure for the advancement of a secure, private, and open web3. With the high level goals of preserving the right to privacy, mitigating the risk of censorship, and promoting economic trade in a transparent, open manner, Status is building a community where anyone is welcome to join and contribute.
As an organization, Status seeks to push the web3 ecosystem forward through research, creation of developer tools, and support of the open source community. Our core product is an open source, Ethereum-based app that gives users the power to chat, make payments and browse the decentralized web.
Who are we?
We're a remote team made up of ~60 core contributors and a growing number of community members scattered around the globe. We care deeply about open source software, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization's priorities.
The project & role
The Nimbus team is looking for a Senior Engineer who will take ownership of Developer Experience. Someone who enjoys researching new technologies and building products for the decentralized web while being in the midst of Open Source Libraries and P2P networks. This means writing cool products in Nim for Ethereum and Web3, crafting documentation and SDKs, plus representing the team at developer conferences and online events.
Nimbus is a research team that focuses on developing an Ethereum client and library targeting both Ethereum and the upcoming, proof-of-stake-based ETH2. We believe that the largest deployment of Ethereum will potentially be on embedded systems, Nimbus will be designed to perform well on embedded, mobile and generally resource-restricted devices. The extensible, configurable, and modular design of Nimbus will make it production ready for Web 3.0 and will ensure that it can be supported and maintained across all goals of Ethereum 2.0.
Building the stack from ground up, we’re translating the latest Ethereum 2.0 research into practical, performant and reusable libraries to provide fertile exploration ground for further R&D. Check our latest update!
- Lead the effort to create a powerful developer experience around Nimbus, both as a library and as a RPC backend.
- Define and design APIs that allow block explorers, wallets and decentralized applications interact with Nimbus.
- Respond to community needs & requests, transforming them into concrete specifications and products or features.
- Be the face of our developer community, represent Nimbus at conferences and online events.
- Create powerful documentation and SDKs.
- Support evangelizing Nimbus as the go-to ETH 2.0 client for mobile devices and embedded systems within the Open Source community.
You will ideally have:
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role!]
- Interest in open data, blockchain and decentralization.
- A strong alignment to our principles: https://status.im/about/#our-principles
- Experience with Rust or C/C++, and curiosity about dynamic languages.
- Background in (embedded) systems programming, p2p technologies.
- Familiarity with modern cryptography.
- Experience with APIs, SDKs and crafting documentation.
- Experience working for an open source organization.
- Ideally, you’ll have some Nim/Rust/C++ related GitHub projects to make it easier for us to evaluate your skills.
- Basic knowledge of the lexing, parsing and semantic checking passes applicable to a compiler.
- Experience with Nim.
Status compensates people with above average salaries in fiat or crypto, plus a grant of Status Network Tokens vesting over a three-year period. More info on SNT here here: https://status.im/snt-utility/
The hiring process for this role will be:
- Interview with our People Ops team.
- Answer a few questions by video or text, to help us understand what are some of the things that matter to you.
- Technical Interview with Zahary from the Nimbus team.
- Paired Programming Session.
- Final Meeting with Jacek, our Head of Research.
The steps may change along the way if we see it makes sense to adapt the interview stages, so please consider the above as a guideline. We’re looking for you to join our team as soon as possible.