The Nimbus team is looking for a Senior Engineer who will take ownership of Developer Experience. Someone who enjoys researching new technologies and building products for the decentralized web while being in the midst of Open Source Libraries and P2P networks. This means writing cool products in Nim for Ethereum and Web3, crafting documentation and SDKs, plus representing the team at developer conferences and online events.
Nimbus is a research team that focuses on developing an Ethereum client and library targeting both Ethereum and the upcoming, proof-of-stake-based ETH2. We believe that the largest deployment of Ethereum will potentially be on embedded systems, Nimbus will be designed to perform well on embedded, mobile and generally resource-restricted devices. The extensible, configurable, and modular design of Nimbus will make it production ready for Web 3.0 and will ensure that it can be supported and maintained across all goals of Ethereum 2.0.
Building the stack from ground up, we’re translating the latest Ethereum 2.0 research into practical, performant and reusable libraries to provide fertile exploration ground for further R&D. Check our latest update!
- Lead the effort to create a powerful developer experience around Nimbus, both as a library and as a RPC backend.
- Define and design APIs that allow block explorers, wallets and decentralized applications interact with Nimbus.
- Respond to community needs & requests, transforming them into concrete specifications and products or features.
- Be the face of our developer community, represent Nimbus at conferences and online events.
- Create powerful documentation and SDKs.
- Support evangelizing Nimbus as the go-to ETH 2.0 client for mobile devices and embedded systems within the Open Source community.
Skills Knowledge and Expertise
Ideally you will have:
[Don’t worry if you don’t meet all of these criteria, we’d still love to hear from you anyway if you think you’d be a great fit for this role!]
- Interest in open data, blockchain and decentralization.
- A strong alignment to our principles: https://status.im/about/#our-principles
- Experience with Rust or C/C++, and curiosity about dynamic languages.
- Background in (embedded) systems programming, p2p technologies.
- Familiarity with modern cryptography.
- Experience with APIs, SDKs and crafting documentation.
- Experience working for an open source organization.
- Ideally, you’ll have some Nim/Rust/C++ related GitHub projects to make it easier for us to evaluate your skills.
- Basic knowledge of the lexing, parsing and semantic checking passes applicable to a compiler.
- Experience with Nim.
Perks & benefits!
- Work with some of the most passionate & dedicated minds in the Ethereum space.
- We ask that you’re willing to be paid in a combination of fiat and cryptocurrency.
- We’ll reward you with a competitive base salary.
- We’ll also reward you with SNT (Status Network Tokens) to give you a real stake in the success of the organisation.
- A generous budget (€2000 Euros) to choose whatever laptop you prefer.
- We provide a small allowance (up to €250 Euros per month) for a co-working space.
- Work from wherever you choose. Our contributors are a varied bunch - some work from home, some from a coworking space, some from a local cafe, others are nomads.
- We operate an open vacation policy, meaning there are no hard limits or strict rules around how much holiday you take and how you schedule it.
- We want our contributors to be healthy and take the time they need to relax and enjoy quality disconnected time away from work.
- We offer all contributors a Headspace subscription.
- Each team has a travel budget to attend conferences & team meetups of their choice.
- Once per year the whole organisation gets together to connect (so far we’ve visited Bangkok and Prague).
Note: We don’t offer traditional benefits like medical/dental insurance - we’d rather pay you well and give you the freedom to select your own benefits, on your terms.
As a team, Status is completely distributed since inception. Our team is currently 85+ core contributors strong, and welcomes a growing number of community members scattered all around the globe.
We care deeply about open source, and our organizational structure has minimal hierarchy and no fixed work hours. We believe in working with a high degree of autonomy while supporting the organization's priorities.
Follow along on Our Status.
Deadline for applications: 22.10.2021.