At Arbor, we’re on a mission to transform the way schools work for the better.
We’re building a platform and products we believe in - as well as a strong, diverse team of experienced specialists, ex-teachers and Edtech engineers passionate about making a difference to the sector.
Ultimately, we’re here to help make schools stress a little less, and focus on what matters most - improving the lives of teachers and outcomes of students everywhere.
About the role
Our Engineering team are down to earth experts working on innovative projects for the EdTech market.
We are looking for a people focussed Product Engineering Lead to join our Assessments & Exams team and help us with successful completion of relevant features contributing towards the core systems and platforms. The remit and focus of the role is to set the technical standards and architecture for their product, and provide mentoring and day-to-day management of the engineering team.
- Providing day-to-day management and mentoring of Product Engineers, helping them to develop and grow.
- People management including reviews, monthly target setting and feedback sessions.
- Being the link between the business and engineering, working closely with our Product Managers.
- Creating appropriate documentation for new feature developments, including diagrams where appropriate.
- Ensuring the compliance with engineering standards for areas of responsibility.
- Producing well written code using standard design patterns and methods.
- Leading in code reviews and pair programming with colleagues.
- Participating in internal and external tech-talks and team based learning to ensure knowledge is spread.
We’re looking for a passionate team leader, with great mentoring skills.
Beyond that, we’d love to see
- Past experience of successfully leading engineering teams.
- Strong communicator, able to express ideas and solutions clearly to management.
- Extensive experience of Object Oriented languages and software development.
- Understanding of software engineering principles, such as SOLID, DRY etc.
- Understanding of relational database technologies.
- A positive and proactive attitude to problem solving.
- A team player, willing to muck in and help others when needed, driven personality who asks questions and actively participates in discussions.
- Good written and spoken English - our HQ is based in London.
- Past experience with enterprise solutions
- Familiarity with Scrum methodology or other agile development processes
- Experience with cloud computing
- Experience with Docker and containerisation
- Familiarity with software best practices such as Refactoring, Clean Code, Domain-Driven Design, Test-Driven Development, etc.
What we offer
The chance to work alongside a team of hard-working, passionate people in a role where you’ll see the impact of your work everyday. We also offer:
- We believe in supporting you to grow professionally and giving you the freedom to choose how. If you tell us where you want to go, we have a dedicated training budget to help you get there!
- We promote positive well being and as part of this you’ll have access to a choice of comprehensive 24/7 well being support services as well as internal Wellbeing Champions.
- Subscription to O’Reilly for Engineering training resources
- Frequent internal Tech Talks, opportunities to learn from colleagues, and dedicated time off to attend conferences or training
- Spending quality time together is really important, so to encourage this, our social committees organise regular team nights out, including weekly pool games (we’ve also done go-karting, white water rafting, and escape rooms)
- Free lunch in the office every day
- We support autonomy and flexibility, and depending on your role can offer flexible working.
- We offer additional discretionary holidays, including half day Fridays during the school summer holidays.
- We welcome dogs in our office!
Please note: We are unable to provide visa sponsorship at this time.