Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a member of the Matching team, you will provide value to our clients, by reducing the time it takes to offer them quality talent. The team owns parts of the UI that our clients use to interact with our talent, as well as the UI for helping us find matching quality talent for our clients. Part of your job as a back-end engineer will be to support its evolution and have a chance to work on the React/TypeScript front-end too.
In our pursuit of reducing the time it takes to connect our clients with quality talent, you will be involved with shaping the algorithm that finds matches between talents and our clients.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby code that is easy to maintain and debug.
- Review the work of your colleagues.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features, while reviewing the work of colleagues.
- As a great teammate, continuously improve the team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate statuses and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback and grow as a part of the team.
- Actively participate in meetings including Scrum meetings, squad meetings, pair programming sessions, etc.
In the first week, expect to:
- Begin your onboarding and integration into Toptal.
- Get familiar with our product portfolio and team structure.
- Review our extensive Toptal Engineering Documentation to become familiar with our working processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
- Have strong knowledge of Toptal’s business.
- Contribute to our product development.
- Develop a deeper understanding of our technology, processes, and product pipeline.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose and implement improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
- Deliver value in a regular cadence.
- Get comfortable in your daily work within your team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
- Be able to not only solve complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- Proactively identify technical debt and product areas that require attention or improvements and suggest improvements in our technology stack.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Give and receive 360 feedback in a yearly review cycle.
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Great spoken and written communication skills. Have a strong knowledge of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, development, and testing methodologies.
- Know SQL enough to be able to diagnose and solve common patterns and problems.
- Care about multiple quality dimensions like user impact, fault tolerance, code maintainability, security, and performance.
- Be able to work without hand-holding and take initiative.
- Bonus points for knowledge of machine learning, GraphQL, front-end experience with React, previous work supporting the back-end for SPAs, familiarity with Docker.