The world is changing at an accelerating rate and understanding the shifting landscapes has never been more critical. Primer is the premier artificial-intelligence powered platform that allows humans to get information that they need, instantly, in ways that until now have not been possible. We believe that truth is knowable; our mission is to free the curious to be their most human. We are building machines that can read natural language text documents, understand them, correlate them into events, and share what they learn by writing their own natural language text documents.
At Primer we use machine learning and natural language processing to automate the analysis of very large corpora of unstructured text. We build systems that read documents, extract insights, and write reports comparable to those of a human analyst. Our objective is to help our customers understand the world around them –– from geopolitical events and scientific research to changes in the risk profiles of companies. Our clients include some of the world’s largest corporations, financial institutions, and government agencies. You can learn more about Primer's technology and the sort of problems we solve at our blog, as well as recent media coverage of our work.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will take the lead on shipping new data driven product features - leveraging cutting edge algorithms, solid software engineering and a good intuition about data. You’ll be constantly learning and constantly teaching, expanding your skills across the stack and bringing in new technologies and methods to the team. We’re looking for engineers who will build products that seem magical to our users, and help us expand what we believe to be possible. This position is specifically for work on a federal contract.
United States citizenship is required for this position as a result of contractual requirements with the United States government.
From your first day, you’ll drive the technical implementation of a major feature. You might…
- train and deploy new ML models to structure new facts from news documents
- scale clustering algorithms to work on millions of documents at once
- build summarization algorithms that work on document types we’ve never seen before
- discover patterns of disinformation across news and social media, and propose product features that make it easier to uncover
- bring our algorithms to many different languages
- Curiosity and enthusiasm, and a love for teaching and learning
- Strong programming skills, including in Python, with at least 3 years experience in a production engineering team
- Masters/Ph.D. in a quantitative field or at least 5 years building analytical/data driven products in an industry setting
- Skills in data exploration, visualization, and cleaning
- Experience applying machine learning algorithms to real data sets, preferably including text analysis and NLP
- Experience in using one or more of the following: NumPy, SciPy, Scikit-Learn, NLTK, SpaCy, TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch
- Experience taking ambiguous problem statements through to delivered products
- Experience interacting with end users/clients or strong interest in doing so
- United States citizenship is required for this position as a result of contractual requirements with the United States government.
- Experience with ElasticSearch and Postgres
- Foreign language proficiency / fluency
What we offer
- Rapidly growing company, with opportunities for growth into leadership roles
- Health, Dental, Vision Benefits
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Smart, engaged co-workers who are at the top of their game
- Honest and open environment for exchange of ideas
- Real customers with global name recognition + healthy sales pipeline
- Proactive learning and teaching opportunities via individual book allowances, tech talks, and brown bag lunches
- Twice weekly catered lunches
- Team outings and bi-weekly company happy hours
- Fun, puzzle-loving office in the SF Financial District
Primer is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.