At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~44% woman or non-binary, and are composed of more than a fourth as many nationalities as we are team members.
We recently raised $63M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. Among our investors are Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT Ventures as well as the founders of GitHub, Slack, Figma and Yelp. This latest round brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $107M to date.
About the Opportunity:
At Netlify, we’re building a system that supports millions of customer sites and processes over a petabyte of data. Over 10% of Internet users visit at least one site hosted by Netlify every 30 days. With our team, we truly empower our engineers through an autonomous pod-based model that allows our teams to own various stages of the customer journey. We’ve been remote-first since our inception and are globally distributed, spanning across North America, Europe, and Africa. We’re biased towards asynchronous planning and communication, meaning less meetings and more execution. We take documentation seriously and place our values of transparency, empowerment, and commitment at the forefront of everything we do. Beyond just hiring smart, empathetic team members, we foster a culture where there are no dumb questions and our team can get access to the resources that they need to continue to learn.
As Senior Frontend Engineer at Netlify, you'll:
- Use your appreciation for semantic HTML & accessibility, and keep these at the forefront of your mind while developing new UIs
- Collaborate with designers to craft accessible, reusable components and consistent design patterns
- Advocate for improvements to the product quality, security, and performance.
- Represent the team and be a significant influence in the overall vision and long term goals for the team and product.
- Be a partner to our engineering managers especially by advocating and identifying technical debt or impediments that slow down the team's ability to deliver code to production.
- Be able to ship large features and improvements with minimal guidance or support from other team members.
Technologies you'll be exposed to:
- React, both class and functional components
- Redux, with a growing use of hooks
- PostCSS with a bit of BEM, and a taste of Tailwind
- Cypress, Jest, and React Testing Library
- Webpack, Babel, & friends
- Git and GitHub
What You'll Bring:
- A history of thriving in environments where experimentation and failure are celebrated
- A deep appreciation for semantic HTML and accessibility
- A breadth of experience in implementing design systems or component libraries
- Some high-level exposure to giving & receiving feedback with regard for both emotional and technical concerns
- A passion for digging into new tools, frameworks, and platforms
- A high level of comfort with a Git-centric workflow, including continuous deployment and solid tooling
- Leads by example, seek to understand through active listening and questioning, actively address problems you identify and assume responsibility for your work.
Within 1 month, you'll:
- Learn about the business and dive into the inner workings of our platform.
- Have one-on-one's and pairing sessions with some of the people you'll be working closely with and get to know your engineering peers across our product umbrella.
- Do a deep dive into the code base
- Tackle your first set of tickets by committing changes & helping perform code reviews with the team.
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Establish strong async communication rhythms with your peers and leaders, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress against areas of focus
- Gain a more robust understanding of the needs of the product and become more comfortable with diagnosing problems
- Deliver on your first initiative and let data drive iteration on meaningful customer outcomes
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your teammates through thoughtful feedback
- Have had the opportunity to meet nearly everyone in the engineering organization, plus many others
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Elevate the work of the team and become a subject matter expert in an area that interests you
- Make a significant impact to our team by being a key contributor to an engineering led initiative to improve our codebase or processes to enable us to scale better as an organization
- Fortify relationships with cross functional team members as well as broaden your connections across the organization
- Participate in the interview process for other frontend developer candidates
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.