Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We are looking for a skilled full stack developer to join our team and help build and deliver top of the class tooling to Toptal’s staff and talent network.
We place a strong emphasis on quality and value. We review, test, and QA every PR before it goes to production, and do not skimp on time and effort when it comes to crafting effective, efficient, and maintainable code.
As a member of Screening Operations, you will have a chance to build tools that power the careers of the biggest and best freelancer community on the planet and be a part of a large group of top-notch engineers, working on world-class software.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Write elegant, efficient, and testable Ruby and React code that is easy to maintain and debug.
- Cover code with tests and perform manual testing of features, while reviewing the work of colleagues.
- As a true teammate, continuously improve the team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate statuses, and progress.
- Mentor other people, provide feedback and grow as a part of the team.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the mentors that will guide you during the onboarding month.
- Get to know our tech stack.
- Participate in team and cross-team meetings.
In the first month, expect to:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
- Get to know one of the services in-depth, by pairing with other engineers, tackling issues, and reviewing changes.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Get to know the main services we maintain.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
- Actively participate in software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in an annual review cycle.
- Have 3+ years of front-end web development experience – preference is given to candidates who have worked on large applications of some scale.
- Have a confirmed grasp of object-oriented programming, clean code, and best testing practices.
- You have experience with responsive designs.
- Consider multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Tackle complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them, and decide on the best course of action.
- You should be passionate about providing and receiving honest and constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
- Have 2+ years of web development experience using Ruby (with Rails or similar high-level web frameworks).
- Bonus points for familiarity with SQL, Docker.