Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive salary plus bonus
- Hybrid working
- 25 days' paid holiday increasing each year
- Extra day off for your birthday
- Private medical insurance
- Massages in the office
- Sweet Tuesdays
- Team sports activities
- Recruitment referral bonus
- Enhanced pay for new parents
Who are we?
Hyperoptic is the UK's hyperfast broadband provider.
We offer broadband speeds 11x faster than the UK average, proudly setting a new fibre ‘gold standard' with hyperfast speed, reliability and customer service.
Here in Belgrade, we support our UK colleagues in a shared mission: to gigabit Britain. Our office started up in Belgrade in 2013 with what was then 20 developers. Now it's grown into our largest office with more than 700 people.
Whatever we're doing, going beyond the expected is the benchmark.
We work smarter, together, being agile and responding with the speed our business and customers demand – without compromising on quality. We stay focused, performing at our best to ensure we are focused on hitting targets and goals together. And we strive for excellence, paying attention to the detail, constantly seeking to stretch ourselves and find better ways of doing things.
And today we're looking for a job title Senior IT Systems Developer who shares these values. Does this sound like you?
Summary of key responsibilities/deliverables
This role will be responsible for designing, developing, testing, and maintaining Hyperoptic's telecommunications and IT systems & platforms. We are looking for a Mid to Senior Level Backend Engineer, proficient in Python and Bash, with an ability to learn domain-specific languages to own and develop systems supporting IT and Network Infrastructure. Ideally, you would have the experience or willingness to learn Cloud-native (AWS, GCP) & Linux administration and Infrastructure-as-code tools (Ansible, Terraform) to assist with systems infrastructure design and deployments.
What will you be doing?
- Write well-designed, testable, efficient code using the best software and security development practices (Python, Bash, and other domain-specific languages)
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical and business needs.
- Design and document changes to the systems and platforms based on the requirements.
- Create and maintain software documentation
- Identify areas of improvement, including technical debt and security issues.
- Prepare and assist operational teams in performing software upgrades and patching.
- Develop or otherwise contribute to the infrastructure-as-code deployments (Ansible, Terraform)
- Act as system owner or technical SME, reviewing proposed processes and technological changes and assisting with troubleshooting issues with other technical teams.
- Assist other engineering teams with projects or tasks that require scripting or systems development.
- Work with the internal security teams to scope and implement technical security controls to improve the security posture of the systems and ensure that security aspects are considered in the software architecture.
- Design and develop new features on the Nokia AAA RADIUS platform
- Maintain and contribute to the schema of the user database (PostgreSQL)
- Maintain and write new tests for the unit test framework (Python, Bash)
- Coordinate with vendor support and internal teams with troubleshooting issues, including security or software updates.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the end-to-end customer provisioning process to act as a technical SME to the other teams or projects.
- Ensure that the availability and performance monitoring is configured for the platform
- Create and maintain the documentation
- Develop solutions and processes to increase automation and reduce support.
- Champion a reliability engineering-driven approach, focusing on automating any repetitive tasks.
- Provide L3 operational support.
- Write well-designed, testable, efficient code using the best software and security development practices
- Ensure project scope and technical deliverables are met and communicate delivery progress clearly and frequently to all stakeholders.
- Supported systems are available, resilient, monitored, secure and working as intended.
- Collaborate and communicate well with internal teams and customers to realise business requirements
What are we looking for?
- 3+ years of experience working with Python and Bash
- 3+ years of experience developing network or IT infrastructure backend services
- Experience with the operation and implementation of network services, including RADIUS, TACACS, Syslog, DHCP, DNS systems
- Strong Linux system administration skills
- Have a good knowledge of at least one IaaS Cloud platform (AWS or GCP)
- Strong working knowledge of Databases such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Practical knowledge of Version Control and CI/CD tools such as Git and Bitbucket
- Good understanding of Secure Development Life Cycle and Security Engineering best practices and how to apply them, e.g., OWASP Top 10 & ASVS, SANS CWE
- Natural problem solver and enjoy troubleshooting unique issues
We're committed to providing equal opportunities to all applicants and employees. In fact, this is at the heart of our culture and values. We welcome applications from candidates from all walks of life.
What happens next?
- You apply
- We carefully review your application
- We'll get back to you — even if it's a no (for now)
And don't forget to keep an eye on our careers site as we're growing fast! We look forward to hearing from you.