Foursquare is the leading independent location technology and data cloud platform, dedicated to building meaningful bridges between digital spaces and physical places. Our proprietary technology unlocks the most accurate, trustworthy location data in the world, empowering businesses to answer key questions, uncover hidden insights, improve customer experiences, and achieve better business outcomes. A pioneer of the geo-location space, Foursquare’s location tech stack is being utilized by the world’s largest enterprises and most recognizable brands.
Foursquare’s flexible building blocks include technology to maximize marketing impact and drive incremental real-world engagement (Attribution, Audience, Proximity, SDK); data to deeply understand points of interest and real-world behavior patterns (Places and Visits), and tools to conduct advanced analysis, data enrichment, unification and visualization (Unfolded Studio).
Reporting to the Sr Manager of Unfolded Cloud in Serbia, the System Architect will serve a key role in designing advanced analytics services in Unfolded cloud and on-prem / private cloud offerings. The ideal candidate is comfortable working independently, able to demonstrate initiative and professionalism and attention to detail, and mentor other engineers over a distance. This position is full-time and located in Serbia, Belgrade or Novi Sad.
What you’ll Do
- Analyze complex customer requirements, research solutions and break down problems into executable plans
- Work across multiple teams, identify technical stakeholders and drive consensus.
- Design scalable, performant, and maintainable services to power the Unfolded Cloud
- Champion backend engineering best practices
- Work with the backend lead, customers, product teams, and sales teams to understand customer needs and translate them into backend engineering projects
- Manage project timelines, implementation design specifications, engineering system diagrams, documentation, testing and ongoing support of systems.
- Maintain and improve existing code with a pride of ownership.
- Cloud stack: AWS and Google Cloud Platform
- Cloud deployment: Kubernetes, containers and Docker, Helm
- Language: TypeScript (Node) or Python
- Data stores: MySQL, Redis, GCS or S3
- A minimum of 6-8 years’ experience
- Comfortable working remotely
- Comfortable with Slack and Google Workspace apps (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Hangouts etc)
- At ease with technology, able to quickly pick up new platforms and troubleshoot
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Sound judgment, a high degree of professionalism, and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Proactive, able to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
- Fluent in English
- Bachelor’s degree required
Nice To Haves
- Experience with other Big Data technologies, (BigQuery, Snowflake, HDFS, Hive, Presto) Arrow, Parquet is always appreciated
- Experience with geospatial data
- Experience with spatial indexing systems: H3, S2, geohash
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.