As an engineering lead, you’ll play a leading role in our mission to make a mark on planet iOS—and a leading role in the ultimate success of Bending Spoons at large. You will make a major contribution to technical decisions. Nothing is set in stone. If you have a good idea, no one will stop you from trying it. Actually, you’ll be met with support and encouragement. You’ll work with a team of supremely talented engineers, guiding their individual growth in tandem with the team’s overall well-being. Each one of our apps has its own super-complex logic, with numerous engineering challenges. Looking for the freedom to study, test, and evaluate every new technology under the sun? Not only do we allow you to, we encourage you to. We pride ourselves on being pioneers—for example, we don't hesitate to use immature or complex technologies.
This role is for someone who wants to make a difference, not just commercially, but also behind the scenes.
A few examples of your responsibilities
- Participate in and contribute to product development and product roadmap planning. Here, we’re all about taking a proactive role and ownership of the products you work on.
- Help define the software architecture of new apps or new features for existing apps—then develop them. The work spans broadly, from engineering and coding features to polishing world-class user interfaces.
- Coach our junior software engineers to world-beater status by teaching them our best practices and your secrets.
- Constantly improve the quality of our products by fixing bugs and refactoring the code base where necessary.
- Expand our set of libraries as needed to make yourself, as well as other engineers, more efficient and effective.
- Stay informed on new mobile technologies and test the promising ones to make sure we don’t miss out on game-changing opportunities to boost our productivity and the enjoyment of our work.
What we look for
- Relevant knowledge. You don’t need to be a walking encyclopedia on the topic, but you do need to know your ABCs from your XYZs. A solid and ever-expanding knowledge base is a prerequisite—you spend a hearty portion of your time seeking to fill in the gaps in your understanding.
- Passion. You love what you do, and your enthusiasm never wavers with the specifics of a given task or team. Whether you’re on a plane, train, or sofa, odds are that you’ll be found with your nose in a book or article on the subject.
- Reasoning and depth of learning. You’re structured and creative enough to solve most challenging problems independently, given the necessary knowledge. You learn new concepts and skills rapidly, and love to nerd out and go in-depth.
- Pragmatism. Far from being too academic or obsessive in your perfectionism, you understand that speed is often as important as quality when getting things done in a competitive world.
- Curiosity and initiative. You love exploring, and are forever hunting down new opportunities and testing fresh ideas. Rather than waiting to be told what to do, you go seek.
- Attention to detail. You take all the care in the world to develop quality user experiences for your colleagues, go the extra mile to learn what they need, and pore over the details that make the difference.
- Organization and structure. You’re meticulously organized and superbly structured, so you can handle multiple tasks and responsibilities with poise and precision.
- Leadership. You know how to lead by example and you enjoy coaching others. You don’t believe in micromanagement and know that great people naturally thrive under light—but timely—leadership.
- Humility. You’re down to earth, eager to listen to feedback and constructive criticism, and ready to support your team with whatever it needs to succeed.
- Proficiency in English. You read, write, and speak proficiently in English.
What we offer
- International reach. We’re a global company, and your work will have worldwide exposure.
- Design for people, not clients. Here, there aren’t any clients doing backseat driving—we cater solely to our customers and users. That means you're free to unleash your creativity on the people whose opinions matter most: the product-loving public.
- Talented, knowledgeable colleagues. Learn from (and teach) some of the brightest and most skilled people you’ll ever meet. Your talent is going to blossom here.
- Real impact. We automate most menial tasks, freeing you up to focus your expertise where it can make the biggest impact.
- The finest tools. You get the best hardware on the market and all the software you could need. We can't wait to introduce you to our high-tech approach and our cutting-edge workflows.
- Flexibility and trust. From day one, you’ll be one of the team and fully trusted. No micromanagement or clipping your wings—just the freedom and responsibility to do great work.
- Unique career opportunity. By joining a fast-growing company on a mission to become one of the world's greatest, it’s an unparalleled opportunity to turbocharge your learning and career prospects.
- Remote working. Spend as much or as little time in our Milan office as you choose. Many Spooners like to change up their environment and get out of the city whenever the mood strikes. You’ve always got the freedom to decide where today’s office is.
- Flexible schedule. Our regular hours are 9-6 GMT+1, but this isn’t a “clock in, clock out” company. You’re fully trusted to create the right conditions for your own personal peak productivity. We only ask that you’re available to your teammates a good chunk of the day (six hours or so). That’s why it’s generally best to be based somewhere with a similar time zone—between GMT-2 and GMT+3.
- Competitive salary and stock options. Our compensation package is highly competitive, and can grow rapidly and include stock options, depending on your performance and seniority.
The selection process
If you successfully pass through our screening process, we’ll invite you to take on a few tests that assess how you approach and solve unfamiliar problems. These tests don’t require any prior knowledge, and they should take a few hours to complete. If you’re successful there, we’ll invite you to take part in some interviews—normally two or three —to get to know each other and figure out if it’s a good fit for both parties. To limit human bias, all of our hiring decisions are made by a hiring committee rather than any individual.
Spooners come from all over the world and English is our working language. We welcome applications in English or Italian—whichever suits you best!
All interviews and assessments take place in English and are held online.
Bending Spoons is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We consider for employment all applicants, regardless of their race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, family status, political affiliation, disability, and any other legally protected characteristic. We’re committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process.