This is an exciting and challenging role on the Ockam Team. Ockam is building open source, end-to-end encrypted and mutually authenticated messaging libraries and infrastructure that is designed for the high throughput, low latency, intermittent connectivity requirements of IoT and connected machines. We're using Elixir to design the core of our messaging infrastructure - Ockam Hub. In this role, you will be responsible for building a modular Elixir library with a strong emphasis on loose-coupling and developer-friendly APIs. We also use Elixir as our bridge to several enterprise systems and this role will involve designing integrations with several external messaging systems and cloud services. We're using Rust to implement the cryptographic primitives in Ockam and our Elixir library uses our Rust library via Erlang NIFs. Designing efficient, fault tolerant NIFs will be interesting challenge in this role. Cryptographic protocols are utilized throughout the Ockam stack, so whether this is an area of experience or experimentation in your past, you will be challenged. Ockam is a small and extremely senior team. This role involves architecture, interface design, writing code, responsibility for testing, and publishing documentation. Everyone on the Ockam team takes responsibility for their parts from end-to-end, including the creation of long term objectives, issues in GitHub, task management, and summaries of key results.
- Building complex code bases in Elixir or Erlang.
- Scaling large scale messaging systems.
- API design.
- Git and GitHub's workflow.
- Modern CI/CD pipelines and DevOps.
- Collaborating in a remote-first, high-performance team.
- Individual and collaborative project management leadership.
- 10+ years of experience
- Building with Docker and Kubernetes
- Provisioning and operating cloud services in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud
- Consuming and contributing to open source codebases
- Messaging systems like RabbitMQ, Kafka etc.
- The basics of cryptography and PKI
- Comfort switching between multiple programming languages
- This is a Level 6 role at Ockam.
- Individuals that consider themselves to be Level 5 or 7 are also encouraged to apply.
- For more information about Role Levels at Ockam, [click here for our guide].
- Ockam is a distributed, remote-first team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.