Introducing Arcadis Gen
Are you interested in joining a start up with bold global ambitions, that already has the backing of, a €3+ billion revenue, 27000+ person organisation operating in over 70 countries, that has deep market sector insights in collective design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services?
We are creating a new entity focused upon accelerating the investment and development of digital solutions which support the asset lifecycle and will position Arcadis as a digital front runner in the fields of digitized asset management, cities and mobility. Our focus is upon accelerating our ability to bring highly scalable digital propositions quickly and seamlessly to both existing and new Arcadis clients across the globe.
We have a clear vision that will enable us to rapidly scale our existing digital capabilities and innovate based on the identified underserved demand in the market, by creating industry leading products, platforms and solutions. Our strategy to become more digitally focused has already seen the acquisition of two digital asset management companies to build on our existing digital capabilities from the Arcadis technology division, all of which will form the foundations of this new digital entity.
The Opportunity – Tier 3 Developer
Gen is looking for a full stack software developer to work within the Applied Insight platform development team. You will work on all aspects of development of a cloud-based, Software-as-a-Service platform which supports a range of applications. You will be expected to be comfortable working with both server-side and front end technology.
You will work within a high-performing Agile team delivering an exciting new product which is launching in Q3 of 2020. The team is highly self-organising, and you will be expected to fit in to the self-starting, highly-motivated team ethos. You will be responsible to your fellow team members, and report progress to the scrum master and the product owner.
Core responsibilities include:
Building cool stuff: Build features that deliver user value; fix bugs and make sure they stay fixed for ever. Collaborate with subject-matter experts to find the best possible solution. Demonstrate your work to stakeholders in sprint review sessions.
Discover, learn and apply new technologies: Help keepi the business cutting edge by working with hot-off-the-press frameworks and features. Learn, learn, learn, and then tell the team what we should be doing. Have a can-do attitude and an enthusiasm for software technology.
Work with an agile team: Contribute to standard sprint ceremones (planning, refinement, reviews and retrospectives). Assist the test engineers with the testing of the code you develop. Communicate what you’re doing with all the other members of the team, especially the other developers.
*Collaboration: Collaborate closely with the multidisciplinary teams within Gen and extend to include partnering with a wide cross section of other groups from academia to start ups and the wider community at large. This role will work closely with wider ecosystem and platform partners to ensure Gen both generously shares and takes advantage of available leverage and synergies, to each parties’ mutual benefit.
- Front end and server-side code to deliver against user stories which meet the agreed sprint goal and the acceptance criteria of the stories
- Collaboration with testing to ensure that newly developed features are tested in a timely manner and meet quality standards
- Unit tests for as much of your code as feasible – we aim for 100% coverage where practical
- Code reviews for other team members to ensure that coding standards are maintained
- Input into the refinement of stories during backlog refinement sessions, including tasking up of stories ready for estimation
- Input into sprint planning sessions so that the team can effectively plan sprint deliverables
Key Relationships, Collaborations and Connections
- This role reports to the lead developer, scrum master and product owner, but as always in Agile teams, your key responsibility is to your other team members.
- It will collaborate closely with Arcadis core in all geographies, most closely connecting with:
- The Sheffield, UK-based team (which forms most of the Applied Insight platform development team)
- Members of the Applied Insight App Factory team (in the UK and worldwide)
- Team members in London and Amsterdam
- Other Gen employees in Serbia
- Members of the Arcadis Global Excellence Centre in Bangalore, India
What We Are Looking For
The ideal candidate will be familiar with modern software development practices and coding standards. It is not necessary to have worked with our specific technologies, but it is preferable to have worked in closely related areas. Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn and adapt are more important than experience; we want you to grow and develop in Arcadis Gen, rather than arriving fully formed. It is beneficial but not essential for you to have worked in an Agile delivery team in the past.
The key skills the successful candidate will have include:
- Any high-level object-oriented programming language (C#, Java etc). We use C# with .NET Core
- Experience of using source control – we use Git
- An understanding of software design principles
- Working knowledge of document databases (Mongo, Cosmos DB etc). We use Cosmos DB
- An understanding of unit testing.
You might also be familiar with the following:
- Linux-based systems
- Azure AD B2C
- Azure Dev Ops Build and release pipelines
- Test automation
- Relational databases
- Scripting languages such as Python or R.
Who Are We?
At Gen we have a mantra which is to be Bold, Agile and to deliver Accelerated Growth, this focuses our efforts and defines the way in which we will deliver to the market.
Our spirit, makes us unique, binds us together and sits at the very essence of who we are and how we ‘show’ up.
- Our fear of failure is mitigated by a thirst for positive disruption.
- We demonstrate intellectual humility – we can admit we are wrong and may change our options often, when new information or insights come to hand.
- We value talent, skill & knowledge but prize agility and adaptability above all else.
- We are optimists believing that we can and we will always find a way…..mindset matters.
We are motivated and driven by:
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to be inventive and free from tight organizational constraints.
- A desire to learn and grow, to push and challenge ourselves and to test the limits of our potential.
- To attempt the extraordinary, motivated to achieve even in the face of set back or obstacle.
- To collaborate, pursuing shared rather than individual goals, believing that we do our best work when we default to ‘open’ rather than ‘closed’.
- Playing a role on the global stage, leading and influencing the future of our industry and sector and by deeply understanding the needs of our clients.
Leadership at Gen
Leadership at Gen is not based on principles of power and control but rather on encouraging self-determination, experimentation and creativity. Our leaders actively:
- Encourage experimentation: The role of a leader is not to reduce risks or prevent failures, but to create an environment resilient enough to take these risks and handle the missteps.
- Instill trust: Silos are the enemy of agility, to be truly agile requires foundations built on trust, discipline and single-minded focus, collaboration and transparency are essential to success.
- Cultivate diversity of thought: Believe that different views, healthy debate and respectful conflict are good things, they are the catalysts for creativity & will fuel our innovation
Who is Arcadis
ARCADIS is the leading global natural and built asset design and consultancy firm working in partnership with our clients to deliver exceptional and sustainable outcomes through the application of design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. ARCADIS differentiates through its talented and passionate people and its unique combination of capabilities covering the whole asset life cycle, its deep market sector insights and its ability to integrate health & safety and sustainability into the design and delivery of solutions across the globe. We are a multi-billion business that employees 27,000+ people globally. We support UN-Habitat with knowledge and expertise to improve the quality of life in rapidly growing cities around the world. Please visit: www.arcadis.com
Equal Opportunity Statement
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Arcadis is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment is based on merit and business need.